British Prime Minister David Cameron was at Rolls-Royce’s plant in Goodwood, Sussex, Wednesday on the south coast of England, and welcomed the announcement that the company, maker of expensive limousines, coupes and convertibles, would expand its model line-up with an ultra-luxury SUV.
“The all-new Rolls-Royce model, announced today, will herald a new chapter in the remarkable British manufacturing success story that is Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. It will guarantee long term sustainable growth, secure investment and jobs for the future, and ensure that Rolls-Royce Motor Cars remains at the pinnacle of British luxury manufacturing,” said Torsten Mueller-Oetvoes, Chief Executive Officer of Rolls-Royce.
“The launch of the Phantom in 2003 marked the beginning of the renaissance of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. Since then, we have set a new benchmark for what a super-luxury car should be – unique, hand-crafted, beautiful and rare. Often imitated, Phantom has never been equaled and continues to be hailed as ‘The Best Car in the World’ by our customers and media alike.
“Twelve years later, after the introduction of successful new models like Ghost and Wraith, Rolls-Royce stands proudly at the pinnacle of British luxury manufacturing, confirming our custodianship of this precious marquee,” he said.
No details were available about when the car would reach dealerships, what it would look like, or how much it would cost.