Aston Martin is today revealing the DB9 GT – the luxury British sports car maker’s most compelling production ‘DB’ to date. Designed to offer the best of what DB9 can be, the new car delivers world-class grand touring and hand-built excellence.
Claiming the title of the most potent DB9 yet devised, by virtue of its uprated 6.0-litre V12 engine which now boasts 547 PS – the DB9 GT makes its public debut as part of Aston Martin’s impressive presence at this week’s Goodwood Festival of Speed.
The new sports car appears as Aston Martin also unveils a raft of colour, trim and equipment enhancements across its sporty Vantage and luxurious Rapide S model lines.
Aston Martin CEO Dr Andy Palmer said: “The arrival of 16 Model Year (16MY) cars, as well as the addition of the sophisticated DB9 GT, gives us our most compelling sports car line-up to date as we continue to build our strongest ever global offering.”
DB9 GT – timeless style redefined
Since their debut in the early 1950s, the ‘DB’ models offered by Aston Martin have been synonymous with sophisticated grand touring and thrilling sports car performance.
In the tyre tracks of DB4, DB5, DB6 and DB7, today’s DB9 GT continues that distinguished tradition of luxury, excitement and style with a raft of engineering, equipment and styling developments calculated to make this the very best of what DB9 can be.
Fundamental to the new model’s unique appeal is its uprated 6.0-litre V12 petrol engine, which is capable of generating 547 PS at 6750 rpm, and 620 Nm of torque at 5500 rpm.
The all-alloy, quad overhead cam, 48-valve 5,935 cc front mid-mounted V12 is mated to the proven rear mid-mounted Touchtronic II six-speed transmission with electronic shift-by-wire control system. It carries the British luxury sports car maker’s core GT offering from rest to 62 mph in 4.5 seconds, and on to a top speed of 183 mph.
The independent double wishbone suspension all round continues to deliver secure handling while the three-stage Adaptive Damping System (ADS) offers distinct Normal, Sport and Track modes for the broadest possible breadth of dynamic characteristics.
However power is only part of the story, as the new Aston Martin also includes important and far-reaching equipment changes which underline its position as the best DB9 to date.
Most notable among the interior equipment updates is the arrival of the AMi II touch-sensitive Aston Martin infotainment system. While AMi debuted on the range-topping Vanquish at its launch, AMi II offers a revised menu structure which makes using the system even more user-friendly.
Building on the system launched in the Vanquish, the DB9 GT’s AMi II infotainment package sees key improvements made in a number of areas including text message integration, vehicle status information and extended background themes for greater personalisation.
Offering AM, FM, DAB and SDAR reception (US only), USB ports, Bluetooth audio streaming the system delivers superb connectivity and entertainment simply and easily.
Ian Minards, Product Development Director at Aston Martin, explained: “Refining the DB9’s already impressive attributes into what we have today in the DB9 GT has been a careful and delicate process.
“Maintaining the effortlessly refined nature of our core GT sports car, while boosting power and introducing state-of-the-art infotainment systems, has required fine judgements and painstaking engineering.
“I’m confident the result, in the shape of the DB9 GT, represents the very best of what DB9 can be, and sets the standard for luxury grand tourers in this class.”
Bespoke luxury as standard
Instantly recognised the world over as a timelessly stylish Aston Martin, the core visual characteristics of the DB9 are of course retained in the DB9 GT. Refined styling enhancements inside and out, however, signal that this new car once again leads its class.
Aside from the subtle GT badges, this new DB9 is identified by black painted splitter and diffuser, revised headlight and tail light treatments and new ten-spoke 20-inch alloy wheels. Black anodised brake calipers and a GT engraving on the aluminium fuel filler cap further distinguish the new model.
Options, for those who wish to further personalise their car, include carbon fibre tail lamp inserts, side strakes, front splitter and rear diffuser; graphite, diamond-turned ten-spoke alloy wheels and alternative brake caliper colours.
Inside, the 2+2 seating configuration remains, however the seats now boast ‘GT’ embroidery on the unique fluted leather. An iridium trim pack and Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel (Coupe only) further distinguish the new car.
A broad array of options inside the DB9 GT include various centre console finishes such as Ice Mocha and Copper Cuprum, while other interior options include Duotone leather seats, door inserts and head linings; and a One-77-inspired steering wheel design.
Aston Martin Chief Creative Officer, Marek Reichman, said: “The purity of form and proportion, together with a lithe powerful, stance, remain at the core of what the DB9 is to look at. With these changes, we have made the DB9 GT yet more stylish, while retaining its unmistakable and globally renowned identity.”
The DB9 GT is now available to order in markets around the world, priced from £140,000 RRP (UK), €187,000 RRP (Germany), $199,950 RRP (USA).
Vantage and Rapide S revised
Not content simply with launching the DB9 GT, Aston Martin is also taking the arrival of 16MY cars to update, upgrade and enhance more of its core sports cars.
The sporting Vantage line-up and luxurious Rapide S four-door four-seat sports cars all benefit from a raft of colour, trim and equipment enhancements for 16MY, with the Vantage Coupe and Roadster models gaining a new touch-sensitive centre console fascia.
The AMi II infotainment system also makes its debut in Vantage and Rapide S, with the debut of corresponding new features such as visual vehicle status power and torque meters, offering real-time read-outs of engine bhp and torque.
New interior trim packs deliver the option of even greater personalisation for customers, with the addition of Vivid Red, Royal Mint, Black Damson and Bronze Metallic to 16MY leather palettes across the Vantage car lines.
Meanwhile, the striking Californian Poppy interior accent is now available for Vantage N430 and US-only Vantage GT buyers. Royal Mint, Spicy Red, Copper and Deep Purple stitching colours are new, too, along with revised alloy wheel designs.
New exterior colours Cinnabar Orange and Ultramarine Black debut on Vantage, too.
Aston Martin CEO, Dr Andy Palmer, said: “Our process of constant improvement, development and refinement of our core sports cars never stops and the arrival of the remarkable DB9 GT, along with these important 16 Model Year updates and enhancements for the Vantage and Rapide S, all clearly demonstrate that.
“Expanding the global appeal of Aston Martin is, in part, about offering our customers the widest possible choice and with the changes we’re announcing today – alongside the ongoing development of our luxury bespoke personalisation service, Q by Aston Martin – I know we are better placed than ever to respond to our buyers’ needs.”
The global market introduction of 16MY sports cars begins in quarter three of 2015, with more details on market-specific pricing and options available in due course.
DB9 GT technical specification
- Two-door coupe body style with 2+2 seating configuration
- Latest generation extruded bonded aluminium VH body structure
- Aluminium, magnesium alloy and composite body
- Extruded aluminium door side-impact beams
- Single bi-xenon headlamps with integrated LED side lights and direction indicators
- Clear LED rear lamps
- All-alloy, quad overhead camshaft, 48 valve, 5,935cc, V12
- Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
- Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
Max power: 540 bhp (547 PS) at 6,750 rpm
Max torque: 620 Nm (457 lb ft) at 5,500 rpm
Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 4.5 seconds
Max speed: 295 km/h (183 mph)
Fuel Consumption (UK MPG): Urban 13.1 / Extra Urban 28.3 / Combined 19.8
Fuel Consumption (US MPG): City 13 / Highway / 19 / Combined 15
Fuel Consumption (EU l/100km): Urban 21.6 / Extra-Urban 10 / Combined 14.3
CO2: 333 g/km
- Rear mid-mounted ‘Touchtronic II’ six-speed transmission with electronic shift-by-wire control system
- Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
- Limited-slip differential
- Final drive ratio 3.46:1
Wheels & Tyres
- 10-spoke Silver Diamond Turned wheels
- Front wheel: 8.5J x 20-inch
- Rear wheel: 11J x 20-inch
- Front tyre: Pirelli P Zero 245/35 ZR20
- Rear tyre: Pirelli P Zero 295/30 ZR20
- Tyre repair kit
|Dimensions Length:||4720mm (inc. front number plate plinth)||Wheelbase:||2740mm|
|Width:||2061mm (inc. mirrors)||Fuel tank capacity:||78 litres (17.15 Imp.galls, 20.6 US galls)|
|Height:||1282mm||Weight:||1785 kg – Coupe
1890 kg – Volante
- Rack and pinion, servotronic speed-sensitive power-assisted steering, 3.0 turns lock-to-lock
- Column tilt and reach adjustment
- Front: ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 398 mm diameter with six-piston monobloc calipers
- Rear: ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 360 mm diameter with four-piston monobloc calipers
- Dark anodised brake calipers
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with track mode
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Traction control (TC)
- 3-stage Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Normal, Sport and Track modes
- Front: independent double wishbones incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
- Rear: independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
- Full-grain leather interior
- Piano Black facia trim with Iridium trim pack
- Alcantara steering wheel (leather for the Volante)
- Electrically adjustable sports seats with side airbags
- Memory seats & exterior mirrors (three positions)
- Dual-stage driver/front passenger front airbags
- Powerfold exterior heated mirrors
- Heated rear screen
- Automatic temperature control
- Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays
- Trip computer
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth® telephone preparation¹
- Satellite navigation¹,²
- Satellite radio system (USA only) ¹
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring system¹
- Alarm and immobiliser
- Remote-control central door locking and boot release
- Glass ECU
- Tracking device¹,³ (UK only)
- LED map-reading lights
- 700-watt Aston Martin Premium audio system with Dolby® Pro Logic II®
- Integrated Apple iPod®,4 connector
- DAB radio
- USB Connector with Waveform Audio Format (WAF), Windows Media Audio (WMA) and MPEG (MP3) audio file compatibility
- 3.5 mm auxiliary input socket
- Gloss black painted splitter and diffuser
- Rear lamps with black border surround
- Sports exhaust
- Volante body style
- 5-spoke Silver wheels
- 5-spoke Gloss Black Diamond Turned wheels
- 10-spoke Gloss Black Diamond Turned wheels
- Alternative brake caliper finish – black, red, grey and yellow
- Carbon fibre splitter and diffuser
- Carbon fibre side strakes
- Carbon fibre rear lamp infills
- Carbon fibre door handles
- Exterior Carbon Fibre Pack (comprising mirror caps and mirror arms, side strakes, and rear lamp infills)
- Black DLO
- GT headrest embroidery
- Fluted micro perforated leather seat inserts and door inserts
- Fluted effect alcantara headlining
- Heated front seats
- Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror ¹
- Boot-mounted umbrella
- Optional facia trims – Ash Burl Light, Piano Ice Mocha, Carbon Fibre, Cuprum Carbon Fibre
- Optional trim packs – Piano Black, Piano Ice Mocha, Carbon Fibre, Cuprum Carbon Fibre
- Colour keyed leather steering wheel or One-77 steering wheel
- Matching wood door trim (not available with B&O BeoSound audio system options)
- Personalised sill plaques
- 16GB USB drive
- 1000-watt Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system with ICEpower technology (including USB drive)
- Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror ¹
- Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror with garage door opener¹
- Alarm upgrade (volumetric and tilt sensor)
- Satellite radio system (Canada only) (excludes subscription) ¹
- Tracking device (UK category five) ¹,³
- First-aid kit
- Trinket tray
- Satellite radio system¹
- Second Glass ECU
- Rear Parking Assist Camera
- Fluted, micro perforated Leather headlining
- Leather ECU pouch
- Not available in all markets
- Includes Traffic Messaging Channel (TMC) in Continental Europe
- Complies with UK Thatcham Category 5 requirements. Excludes subscription. Standard in UK
- iPod is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries
Note: Press release courtesy Aston Martin Cars.