The best-selling lots at Barons Connoisseurs Classic Car Collection sale at Sandown Park on July 18th were two pieces of classic British motoring heritage, both of which exceeded the top estimate. The bright red 1970 Jaguar E-type Series 2 FHC achieved £51,700 while the handsome 1964 Jensen CV8 sold for just under £49,000.
Queen guitarist Brian May raised over £6,300 for the animal charity Save Me when the 1952 Jowett Javelin he bought for his father 35 years ago went under the hammer at the sale. Enthusiastic bidding and strong pre-sale publicity meant that the car went for over top estimate, with the lucky new owner acquiring a charismatic family classic car previously owned by rock royalty.
Barons’ Auction Manager, Tim Gascoigne, commented:
As per last year, the aim of our Connoisseurs Classic Car Collection sale is to offer a smaller selection of high-quality cars, and we were certainly able to achieve that. The hall was full of interesting and top quality cars, and we’ve received some great feedback from customers who attended the auction. We’re a family-run business that prides itself on honesty, integrity and great service, and the marketplace certainly seems to be reacting positively to that now.
Some wonderful cars found new homes on Tuesday, most notably the series 2 E-type and Jensen CV8. We were also very pleased that the Jowett Javelin was sold, raising a great amount of money for charity.
Big Cats wanted
The Barons team is now on the hunt for Big Cats, as it prepares to head to Kempton Park race course for its annual Jaguar Heritage, Classic and Sports Cars sale on September 16th. Entries are now open for what is always a hugely popular event for Jaguar lovers.
Results, Barons’ Sandown Park, July 18th 2017*
- 1970 Jaguar E-type series 2 FHC £51,700
- 1964 Jensen CV8 £48,950
- 1966 Ford Mustang £23,650
- 1975 Ford JPS Capri £20,900
- 1961 Jaguar MKII 3.8 £19,800
- 1990 Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth £19,250
- 1959 Triumph TR3A £18,700
- 1994 MG RV8 £18,150
- 1967 Jaguar MK2 240 £15,950
- 1972 Triumph TR6 £15,400
- 1992 Porsche 968 Convertible £12,100
- 1998 Rover Mini Cooper £9,625
- 1958 DKW 1000 Coupe £9,350
- 1966 Mercedes W108S Class £9,075
- 1952 Jowett Javelin £6,325
- 1995 BMW 840 CI V8 Coupe £5,280
- 1991 Mercedes R129 500SL £4,345
- 1972 Triumph Spitfire £2,530
- 1978 MG Midget 1500 £2,145
*Prices include premium.
Note: Press release courtesy of Barons’ Classic Car Auctions.