Underlining its commitment to building exceptional sports cars that appeal to the most discerning enthusiasts, Aston Martin has ushered in its 17MY range by offering the sensational V12 Vantage S with a manual transmission.
True icons of pure performance blessed with exceptional agility, each V12 Vantage S transmission option delivers its own unique character and dynamic emphasis; the manual unashamedly championing classic tradition and total driver engagement, while the Sportshift™ III transmission offers a more contemporary driving experience. Both exude the unrivaled sporting qualities for which the V12 Vantage S is renowned.
Director of Product Development, Ian Minards said: “We’re all enthusiasts here at Aston Martin. Building cars that offer something exceptional is what we do. Technology drives us forward, but we understand the importance of tradition. The true purist will always hanker for the tactility and connection offered by a manual transmission, so it has been a real pleasure to offer just that in our fastest and most focused model. At a time when manual transmissions have almost entirely disappeared in high performance cars, this makes the manual V12 Vantage S a very special car indeed”.
The seven-speed manual transmission features a classic dog-leg first gear position; an echo from the past that will be welcomed by driving enthusiasts. This dog-leg configuration also ensures the gears used most frequently are located in a double ‘H‘ pattern like that of a conventional 6-speed manual.
The new manual transmission also features AMSHIFT. The system, which is driver selectable uses clutch, gear position and propshaft sensors, together with finely-tuned programming of the engine management, to mimic the technique of heel-and-toe downshifts; the act of blipping the throttle while braking and changing gear. AMSHIFT also offers the capability of full-throttle upshifts for maximum smoothness and minimal interruption in acceleration.
AMSHIFT can be used in all driving modes, but is especially effective in Sport, with the sharper throttle response and louder exhaust note really emphasising the downshift throttle blip for maximum excitement.
Offered as a no-cost option*, the manual V12 Vantage S is a series production model. Customers simply have to make the choice between manual and Sportshift™ III transmission when ordering their car. Both versions are otherwise mechanically identical, sharing the same chassis and brake packages and powered by the same 6.0-litre V12 engine.
Though their style of delivery are different, whether manual or Sportshift™ III, potent performance is guaranteed with the V12 Vantage S accelerating from a standstill to 62mph in 3.9sec and both can reach 205mph.
Aston Martin CEO Dr Andy Palmer said: “Broadening the scope of the V12 Vantage S with a manual transmission option is an indication of our desire to offer the keenest drivers a more analogue and immersive machine to enjoy. I’d like to take this opportunity to reiterate that the manual gearbox remains an integral part of our product plans and will do for many years to come.”
A new Sport-Plus Pack option includes a raft of exterior and interior changes. Foremost amongst these is a choice of five body colours, which can be combined with no-cost optional accent colours applied to the front grille lipstick, side sills, mirror caps and rear diffuser blades. Ten-spoke graphite finish lightweight alloy wheels complete the Sport-Plus Pack’s exterior changes, while a choice of black or grey upholstery with stripes and contrast stitching offered in a range of accent colours create a suitably dramatic interior theme.
17MY also marks other important changes to the Vantage range, with the V8 models now consolidated into Coupe and Roadster versions of the V8 Vantage S. Mechanically unchanged, the timelessly stylish V8 Vantage S receives a range of small detail changes to the exterior and interior. Together with five new option packs offering broad scope for personalisation and even greater value the V8 Vantage S is a compelling and competitive entry point to the Aston Martin range.
One change to be implemented across all current model lines is the new AMi III infotainment system. This includes a new integrated Satellite Navigation system that offers significant improvements over the outgoing AMi II technology. Key areas of improvement are the integrated graphics, quicker and easier address input, reduced loading times, updatable maps, graphical itinerary planning, advanced traffic information, enhanced map graphics and a greater range of voice guidance options. AMi III also incorporates Apple© CarPlay© to enable the integration of iPhone© functions into the built-in display.
In addition to the new AMi III Infotainment and Satellite Navigation System upgrade, both 17MY Rapide S and Vanquish model lines are offered with a range of new option packs. Carefully created to simplify the specification process, these option packs continue to offer added value and a huge range of exterior and interior colour, trim and detailing combinations.
First deliveries of the manual V12 Vantage S are scheduled to begin during the third quarter of 2016.
Note: Press release courtesy of Aston Martin.
V12 Vantage S Technical Specification
- Two-seat, two-door Coupe or Roadster body style
- Extruded bonded aluminium VH body structure
- Aluminium, magnesium alloy, composite and steel body
- Extruded aluminium door side-impact beams
- Halogen projector headlamps (main beam)
- High Intensity Discharge headlamps (dipped beam)
- LED rear lamps
- Clear rear lamps with a black border
- Carbon fibre front splitter and rear diffuser
- Black headlamp bezels (1)
- All-alloy, quad overhead camshaft 48-valve, 5935 cc V12
- Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
- Fully catalysed, stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
- Compression ratio 11.1:1
- Max power 421 kW (573 PS/563 bhp) at 6750 rpm
- Max torque 620 Nm (457 lb ft) at 5750 rpm
- Acceleration 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds0-100 km/h in 3.9 seconds
- Maximum speed 330 km/h (205 mph)
- Rear mid-mounted, seven-speed ‘Sportshift III’ automated manual transmission (7)
- 7-speed Manual transmission with AMSHIFT
- Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
- Limited-slip differential
- Final-drive ratio 3.727:1
- Rack and pinion, speed-sensitive Servotronic power-assisted steering, 2.5 turns lock-to-lock
- Column tilt and reach adjustment
- Steering rack with 15:1 ratio
Wheels & Tyres
- 19” 10-spoke forged alloy Liquid Silver painted wheels
- Front: 9 x 19” Pirelli P Zero Tyres
- Rear: 11 x 19” Pirelli P Zero Tyres
- Front: Independent double wishbones incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
- Rear: Independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, dual-rate coil springs and monotube adaptive dampers
- Three-stage Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Normal, Sport and Track modes
- Front: Ventilated Carbon Ceramic Matrix discs, 398 mm diameter with six-piston monobloc calipers
- Rear: Ventilated Carbon Ceramic Matrix discs, 360 mm diameter with four-piston monobloc calipers
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Track mode
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Track mode
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Traction Control (TC)
- Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Positive Torque Control (PTC)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Dark anodised calipers
- Strathmore leather interior
- Carpeted rear cabin
- Piano Black fascia
- Piano Black trim pack
- Alcantara®-trimmed sports steering wheel with black airbag ring
- Electrically adjustable sports seats with side airbags
- Memory seats and exterior mirrors (three positions)
- Heated Seats
- Dual-stage driver/passenger front airbags
- Carbon fibre front grille
- Carbon Fibre Surround bonnet mesh louvres
- Titanium front grille and side strake meshes
- Powerfold exterior heated mirrors
- Heated rear screen
- Automatic temperature control
- Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays
- Infotainment System (AMi III)
- Trip computer
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth® telephone preparation
- Satellite navigation (1)
- Satellite radio (USA and Canada only)
- Rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring (1)
- Alarm (with volumetric and tilt sensor) and immobiliser
- Remote control central door locking and boot release
- Glass ECU
- Glass switches
- Aston Martin Tracking by Cobra (UK only) (4,6)
- LED map reading lights
- Low-Line Console
- Infotainment System (AMi III)
- 700W Premium Audio Sound system
- Phone (Bluetooth hands-free)
- AM / FM and DAB / SDAR
- USB x 2 reversible sockets
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Bluetooth® audio streaming
- 19” 10-spoke forged alloy Graphite painted wheels with diamond-turned finish
- 19” 10-spoke forged alloy Gloss Black painted wheels with diamond-turned finish
- 19” 10-spoke forged lightweight alloy Silver painted wheels
- 19” 10-spoke forged lightweight alloy Satin Black painted wheels
- Alternative Brake Caliper finish: Black, Red, Grey, Yellow
- Pirelli P Zero Tyres
- Exterior Carbon Fibre Pack comprising mirror caps, side strake and lamp infills
- Carbon fibre side strakes
- Carbon Fibre Bonnet Louvres
- Black front grille and side strake meshes
- Black side window trim surround
- Black textured tailpipe finisher
- Front parking sensors
- Rear parking assist camera (Standard in USA)
- Silver headlamp bezels
- ‘V12’ front wing badging
- ‘V12 Vantage S’ model badging
- Delete protective tape
- Contemporary Pack
- V12 Vantage S Sport-Plus Pack with five graphic options
- Speedway White with optional Orange accent
- China Grey with optional Yellow accent
- Alloro Green with optional Yellow accent
- Jet Black with optional Silver accent
- Skyfall Silver with optional White accent
- Carbon fibre paddleshifts
- Carbon fibre door grabs
- Leather sports steering wheel
- Black pedals
- Lightweight seats with six-way electrical adjustment (1,3)
- Passenger seat with ISOFIX (fixed height) (1,2)
- Lightweight carpet
- 1000 watt Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system with ICEpower® technology
- Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror (1)
- Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror with garage door opener
- Second glass ECU
- Aston Martin Tracking by Cobra (1,4,6)
- Personalised sill plaques
- First aid kit (1)
- Ashtray and cigar lighter
- Boot-mounted umbrella
- Black leather ECU pouch
- AML Touring Pack (1)
- Reverse parking assist camera (Standard in USA and Canada)
- Black anodised speaker grilles (8)
- Wind deflector (Roadster only)
- Highline Console
- Contemporary Pack
- Assortment Pack
- V12 Vantage S Sport-Plus Pack
- Length 4385 mm (172.6”)
- Width 1865 mm (73.4”) excluding mirrors
- Width 2022 mm (79.6”) including mirrors
- Height 1250 mm (49.2”)
- Wheelbase 2600 mm (102.4”)
- Front track 1570 mm (61.8”)
- Rear track 1575 mm (62.0”)
- Turning circle 11.8 m (38.7 ft) (kerb to kerb)
- Boot capacity 300 litres (10.6 cu ft)
- Fuel capacity 80 litres (17.6 UK gal/21.1 US gal)
- Kerb weight 1665 kg
- Not available in all markets.
- Not available with lightweight seats.
- Does not include side airbags or passenger airbag cut-off switch.
- Complies with UK Thatcham Category 5 requirements. Excludes subscription. Std in UK.
- iPod® is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries.
- Cobra is a registered trademark of Cobra Automotive Technologies SpA.
- ‘Sportshift’ trademark is used under licence from Prodrive (Holdings) Ltd.
- Only available in conjunction with Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system